Frequently asked questions

Frequently asked questions

What is an asset assessment?

The purpose of an assets assessment is to determine whether a person may be eligible to pay an accommodation payment, or if the aged care home is eligible to receive an Australian Government subsidy on behalf of a person. An assets assessment also helps to clarify the maximum accommodation payment a person may be asked to pay.

See the Assets Assessments for Entry into Permanent Residential Aged Care page on the website for more information.

Do I need to get an asset assessment?

An assets assessment is recommended, as you cannot receive financial assistance from the Australian Government towards the cost of your accommodation without one.

Your level of assessed assets is used to work out how much you may be asked to pay for your accommodation. If you choose not to have your assets assessed, you can be charged the maximum amount.

How do I apply for an asset assessment?

You can download a Permanent Residential Aged Care Request for an Assets Assessment form from the website or you can call us and we will send you a copy.

An enduring power of attorney is a legal agreement that enables a person to appoint a trusted person – or people – to make financial and/or property decisions on their behalf. An enduring power of attorney is an agreement made by choice that can be executed by anyone over the age of 18, who has full legal capacity. ‘Full legal capacity’ means that the person must be able to understand the nature and effect of the document they are completing and the nature and extent of their estate. See the Enduring Power of Attorney page on the Office of the Public Advocate website.
It is in your best interest to have the person you want to look after your assets should you not be able to.
An enduring power of guardianship (EPG) is a legal document that authorises a person of your choice to make important personal, lifestyle and treatment decisions on your behalf should you become incapable of making such decisions. This person is known as an enduring guardian. An enduring guardian could be authorised to make decisions about matters such as where you live, the support services you have access to and the treatment you receive. An enduring guardian is not authorised to make property or financial decisions on your behalf. See the Enduring Power of Guardianship (EPG) page on the Office of the Public Advocate website.
An Advance Health Directive (AHD) is a legal document that enables you to make decisions about any future treatment you would want – or not want – if you ever became sick or injured and were incapable of communicating your wishes. In such circumstances, your AHD would effectively become your voice. The term ‘treatment’ includes medical, surgical and dental treatments, including palliative care and life-sustaining measures. An AHD would come into effect only if it applied to the treatment you required and only if you were unable to make reasoned judgements at the time that the treatment was required. More information is available on the Advance Health Directives page of the Office of the Public Advocate website.
An AHD is recommended if you want others to be clear about your wishes regarding your care should you not be able to express these wishes in the future.
To make an Advance Health Directive you must be at least 18 years of age and have full legal capacity (this means you must be capable of understanding the nature and effect of your Advance Health Directive).

If you meet these criteria, you can make an AHD by completing the prescribed AHD form, available from the website, or we can give you a form if you are a resident in one of our residential aged care facilities.

Yes, if your doctor is able to visit the facility. Otherwise, we can arrange a GP for you.

All rooms are furnished with essential furniture, such as a comfortable bed and storage for your clothes. You are welcome to bring items to personalise your room and help you feel at home. Please discuss what you’d like to bring with your facility manager.

No you don’t have to be a Christian to become a resident at Baptistcare. Although we are a Christian-based organisation, we welcome people of all beliefs.

  • The Australian Government’s My Aged Care website will help you navigate the aged care system. Visit
  • You can call Commonwealth Carelink on 1800 052 222.
  • The Aged Care Insite website provides news on aged care issues. Visit
  • The Department of Social Services is the Australian Government’s social policy agency. Visit

Want to know more?

Receive more information by post or email with an enquiry pack.

Request A Pack

More than care… for over 45 years!

Baptistcare is one of WA’s largest not-for-profit providers of residential aged care, home care services and retirement living, supporting individuals and communities in metro and regional areas for over 45 years.

More about Baptistcare
Call us on 1300 660 640

We are here to help you

Call 1300 660 640


Baptistcare is a not-for-profit organisation providing residential aged care, home care services and retirement living in Perth and WA.

Baptistcare Customer Centre
New customer enquiries

Phone: 1300 660 640

Baptistcare Head Office
General and corporate enquiries

95 Belgravia Street, Belmont WA 6104
Phone: (08) 9282 8600
Fax: (08) 9282 8697

Postal Address
PO Box 263
Bentley WA 6982